Abandoned mining complex with surreal views being transformed into a heritage site.
This mining complex was installed during the 19th century for the exploration of a copper pyrite mine, which was explored in both the Roman and Pre-Roman time periods. The mine had a second life when in 1854 copper and sulphur were extracted from the area. This lasted until 1966.
Several communities played a key role in these mines such as Moitinha, Achada do Gamo and Pomerão. Nicknamed the Iron Trail, tunnels, bridges and reservoirs were built within these communities to help process the raw materials and provide work for the local people. After the closure of the mine the equipment was disassembled and sold, and today the landscape is being recovered.
[Guide of the Portuguese Geological and Mines Sites] www.roteirodeminas.pt