Built-in the 19th century to serve the mines of São Domingos, Pomarão has now become a leisure port.
The Pomarão River Port was inaugurated in 1859 following the rediscovery of the mine in 1854 as was the port village and the railway.
Each year the port, located 40 km upstream from the mouth of Guadiana at the confluence with the Chança River, provided docking infrastructure for hundreds of ships bringing supplies and equipment for the mine and carrying away loads of ore.
The railway later arrived in Pomarão and connected the port to the mining extraction zone in Mina de Sao Domingos and the remaining locations of the industrial complex.
The first version of the railway system used animal traction (mules) and was inaugurated in 1862. The final version, with a wider gauge, steam-powered locomotives was inaugurated 5 years later, in 1867.