“Off the Road” cycle route Into the Wildscapes includes:
1. Journey from Castro Verde through the steppe land of the Great Bustard into the mining heritage of Aljustrel.
2. Journey from Aljustrel to Ourique passing through the charming rural village of Messejana.
3. Journey between Ourique and Almodôvar exploring the secrets hidden in archaeological sites along the way.
4. Journey through the hills and valleys, from Almodôvar to Mértola, to find the Guadiana, the grand southern river.
5. Loop journey from Mértola along the East bank of the river Guadiana, cycling through the Natural Park and the mining heritage of São Domingos.
6. Journey from Mértola to Castro Verde, closing the 400 Km route, crossing the lands of the Iberian lynx and the plain fields of Alentejo where an epic battle was fought.
Portugal Wildscapes offers a natural experience that journeys through unique landscapes. The cycling is on gravel and dirt paths but also includes secondary quiet roads.
Rest StopCasa do Alentejo
Mina de S. Domingos- Palacete dos Alcaides
Tasca do Filipe
Churrasqueira "O Fogareiro"
1680 gourmet taste
Adega do Pescador
Café | Restaurant Almodôvar
Churrasqueira Pátio de Ourique
Fio d´ Azeite
Hotel São Domingos
O Novo Coimbra
Pateo Da Villa
Pizzaria "O Forno"
Pizzaria Campo Branco
Restaurant "O Cabecinha"
Restaurant "O Celeiro"
Restaurant "A Cavalariça"
Restaurant "Adega do Monte Velho"
Restaurant "As Piscinas Aljustrel"
Restaurant "Boa Viagem"
Taberna do Serafim
Restaurant "Castro Da Cola"
Restaurant "Cegonha Branca"
Restaurant "Novo San Remo"
Restaurant "O Bombeiro"
Restaurant "O Brasileiro"
Restaurant/Guest House "De São Domingos"
Restaurant/Pizzeria "A Paragem"
Restaurant/Pizzeria "Villa Itália"
Restaurant "Regional A Esquina"
Casa de Pasto - Cafetaria Tamuje
Tavern "João das Cabeças"
"Tasquinha do Medronho"
Seppia - Alentejo Star Hotel
Tips, hints and links
Our suggestion is a six days journey along the route but you may customize your own adventure.
If you pretend to ride in a self-supported way, plan your route in advance. Although there is a wide range of services along the route, it is recommended to confirm their availability in advance.
It will be possible to refill your water canteen in the villages along the route. Not all existing fountains will have drinking water, but there are many cafes and local people available to help when in need.
Avoid the summer months due to the high temperatures. In July and August, crossing the Alentejo can be a very intense experience!
During winter and in limited periods of heavy rainfall, some river passages may be temporarily conditioned.
- 6 Stages